Saturday, July 18, 2009

Fortnight n. 1

First two weeks have gone so far. I cannot feel whether it was yesterday or one month ago that I left Italy. Now I'm getting used to life in the United States, where I have the pleasure to reckon the presence of loads of Ben & Jerry's ice cream. If you have to try some real good stuff in your life, try Ben & Jerry's "Vermont's finest ice cream", with fancy product names such as Chunky Monkey, Cooke Dough, Strawberry Cheesecake and my favourite Chocolate Fudge Brownie. Urban legends want that the incredible flavour comes from the milk produced by the company's "Happy Cows".

The past week's other interesting things sum up to: my internship, my moped, the beach, the...hooters. My current job (for other 8 weeks) is at the US subsidiary of an Italian company that offers spare parts and maintenance for ships (cargos, cruise ships, yachts). So I landed in an office where doors are topped with writings like "When all else fails, try doing what the captain suggested", "Life Boats: Children and women first", "Surfin' USA". However the sea is distant at least 3 miles. Palm trees are not missing anyway. Anyway, I'm taking care of reorganizing the inventory, which translates into spending half-day in a freakin' hot messy warehouse and the rest in a damn cold air-conditioned office. I've been entitled to use a company-owned apartment and a scooter, a Honda Metropolitan 2008 that I now ride quite safely.

The apartment is quite large, every guest has an own room with a double bed, plus a common space with kitchen and living room. The house is quite recent and is organized on three levels. I still have to understand some things, for instance the way toilets flush, which caused some little clogging problems - courageously solved by using a specially-made toilet plunger to unclog it. Guys, this product is gold, write that down!


Last Sunday, and surely also this weekend, was beach-time. Beaches in this part of the US are quite curious: 60% of guys are lookalikes of Big Gym, while more or less the same percentage of women carry heavy fake breasts. This people's concern for appearance is very...concerning. Women are particularly subject to this: now, my sight usually concentrates on boobs (lol), but it seems that also quite a lot of noses (and booties, they say) undergo a nip'n'tuck process. You cannot become a waitress or serve in a bar if you don't have fake breasts, dear ladies. But this is a strange country. Breasts were in origin for baby's milk. Here it's not fashionable anymore to feed babies with own milk...well, welcome to America!

3 comments:

  1. Stating those last 5 lines, I suppose we got one more reason for me not to move/come to the States.

    God Bless the Queen (and her genuine breasts...)

    ReplyDelete
  2. ma sei in florida!?!? sti cazzi...
    ma non ho ben capito che ci stai facendo lì!? come sei arrivato a lavorare in questa specie di compagnia!? inizio seriamente ad invidiarti...
    carlo

    ReplyDelete
  3. Like it!
    :-)
    Valentina

    ReplyDelete